Monday, April 20, 2015

Futurama

We live in a modern era where technology breakthroughs inspire wonder and awe.

For example: 3D printers. Because I have trouble wrapping my head around the concept of 3D printing, I won't even attempt to explain how the process works. You can learn about how 3D printing works here.

I was able to take advantage of a public 3D printer recently. Of course, I just had to see if it could "print" a teacup!

First, I downloaded a 3D digital file of a teacup from Thingiverse. I chose this model because of its funky handle. Since it would have taken 11 hours to build this teacup, they had to reduce the resolution of my teacup so it would print within the 6-hour time limit.

This 3D printer creates plastic products made out of a biodegradable polymer called polylactic acid (PLA). When I submitted my printing request back in December, the PLA colour was blue. When my teacup finally got printed this month (free 3D printing = looooooooong queues), the PLA colour was grey silver--see the spool on the left side of the printer.

Objects are printed starting from the bottom. I was fortunate to catch the base of my teacup being built. The duration of the print job was 4.5 hours!

This was the result of the first attempt. I was told that the base was problematic and couldn't support the rest of the teacup so they had to redo...

...and the second attempt was a success!
The finished teacup is approximately 2" high and 2.5" wide. If you look closely (you can enlarge the image by clicking on the photo), you can see the different layers of the PLA filaments.

The plastic teacup has a relatively smooth finish but the handle is a little rough around the edges. I was impressed that the 3D printer was able to replicate the ear-shaped handle.

Since it is not food-grade plastic, the teacup can't be used for real tea. So I intend to hang it as an ornament on my Christmas tree!

Left: Inside the printed teacup
Right: Base of the printed teacup

I put one of my Paragon bone china teacups next to the plastic teacup so you can compare their shapes and sizes.

The technology and use of 3D printers are growing by leaps and bounds.
One really cool 3D printing application is the creation of plastic hand prosthetics for children.

Maybe one day, 3D printers will be able to produce real china so that we can create pieces missing from our china collection!

I'm joining the following parties this week:

17 comments:

  1. My goodness! That was fascinating! I have seen things being made with a 3d printer, but never a teacup. LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to use the tea cup as a Christmas Ornament.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi: I have never seen anything like that. It is amazing! Hugs, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Margie,
    That teacup is simply amazing! It'll be a fun keepsake for your Christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really amazing! I've seen one before print a cube but nothing this intricate. Love the idea of making it an ornament! Thanks for sharing and have a great week. ~Nora

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh wow, I have heard about these but never seen what you could make. Very interesting and I agree a great Christmas tree ornament.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read a bit about the 3-d printing and read a great story about a young man who now has the prothetic arm they were able to make for him. It is all almost too much to think about. The world gets more and more amazing I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun and interesting post. What next???!!!! Happy Tea Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is amazing! Think of all the wonderful possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My son-in-law runs a company that does marvelous things with 3-d printers - just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute cup and what a great idea, using it as a Christmas ornament.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is amazing! It turned out much better than what I've imagined. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never seen anything like this before! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! Thank you for dropping by my page! That's a cool outcome for a unique teacup. I just want to mention also that I was able to try saffron tea and I agree that it's really good! :) Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Margie,
    What a neat idea. I have never heard of this before. Then I could have a teapot made like the one I carelessly broke. Lol. I think your mosaic idea is a very good one! The Roses and Ivy would look beautiful in a china mosaic. Happy Tea Day! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Margie,
    What a neat idea. I have never heard of this before. Then I could have a teapot made like the one I carelessly broke. Lol. I think your mosaic idea is a very good one! The Roses and Ivy would look beautiful in a china mosaic. Happy Tea Day! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an interesting concept! Just the other day I heard about 3-D printers and to be honest I had no idea what the person was talking about :) Now after seeing what it does it makes total sense. Quite fascinating :)

    Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit and leave a comment!