Monday, October 17, 2022

Celebrating Persons Day in Canada

On Persons Day (Oct 18), we recognize the 5 courageous Canadian women (Famous Five), Emily Murphy, Nellie McClung, Louise McKinney, Irene Parlby and Henrietta Muir Edwards, who launched a petition that lead to the 1929 historic ruling: "Women are persons!"

 


How 5 Women Changed Canada Forever Over a Cup of Tea

"People assumed they were just having dainty tea parties. But in reality, they were planning strategy to move forward gender equality in Canada."


I raise my pink teacup to the Famous Five! 

Their milestone victory for Canadian women's rights "paved the way for women's increased participation in public and political life."

Almost a century later, the suffrage movement has empowered women entrepreneurs to start their own successful tea businesses: Dessert by Deb, Geek+Tea, Monarch Tea Co., and Teamancy.

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed listening to the video. WOW! Women have sure come a long way haven't they? Sad to say that not ALL accept women in more active roles in society still. However, I am thankful that women like these stood up for women and was used in a mighty way to change the world. Happy October Margie. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tribute to them. Beautiful teacup too. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea for women standing up for women! Women have had to go through so much and are still fighting for their rights in women’s sports.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I am thinking of Helen Reddy's song - I Am Woman

    I am strong 🎵 🎶
    I am invincible
    I am woman!

    Happy Tuesday, Margie ☕

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so grateful to these women and others who stood up for women's rights. And how great to think they plotted together over cups of tea!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit and leave a comment!